Sunday 9 January 2011

Film 4 'Metropolis' IMDB No. 97

1927 silent black and white classic


I don't think I have watched a full length silent movie before, I don't think I will do it again.
Lots of big sets and big overacting 1920s style and lots of orchestra music setting the mood. The version I watched has a lot of scenes missing, apparently lost forever, and replaced with captions explaining what is going on, it's 2 hours long and has an interval. I'd hate to think how long it would be if all the scenes were found and restored
This is said to be one of Hitler's favoutite films.
A 'sci-fi' story of the opressed workers rising up against the machine, with a boy meets girl boy loves girl boy saves girl and lots of kids girl loves boy plot going on too. Throw in a mad inventor and a robot and the craziest 'erotic' dancing I've seen and you have it.
I've watched it and I won't watch it again.
5/10

1 comment:

  1. I've seen the full version with the missing scenes and it's actually better because of it.
    I watched a silent movie which was 4 hours long this week. Mind you, I won't be doing that again either.

    ReplyDelete