Wednesday 26 January 2011

Film 11 'Full Metal Jacket' IMDB No. 86

Are those... live rounds?
Seven-six-two millimeter. Full metal jacket.


1987 Stanley Kubrick film set in 1968 during the Vietnam War.
A two part story following a set of new recruits training to be Marines before being sent to Vietnam. Right from the off this film grabs you. Gunnery Sgt Hartman is a mean bastard. In the opening scenes screaming and spitting as he shouts, you feel like your there taking the abuse as well. It makes me feel glad that I never went to war or had to do National Service, I wouldn't last 5 minutes.
The second half follows 'Joker' in Vietnam as a journalist writing for 'Stars & Stripes' ending up in the full horror of battle in the Tet offensive.
Although filmed almost entirely in the UK you wouldn't know, the landscapes and atmosphere are awesome as I said before it's just like being there or as you would imagine it.
I'm not a war film fan but I thought this was great.
8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment