Sunday 2 October 2011

Film 78 "Rashomon" IMDB No. 81

A man has to make a woman his by his sword.


1950 Akira Kurosawa
Winner of best foreign film Oscar.
I'd never heard of it or read about it. So I like to watch them without finding anything out so I can be surprised and take it in with a clean head as it were.
A murder story is told from the view of three different people involved. It starts with two men sheltering from the worst film rain I have ever seen, the woodcutter says he has witnesed the most horrific thing ever. I think 'this is promising' and starts to tell the story, the same story is retold by the others. Yawn..
One if the characters is a 'bandit' but when it comes to sword fighting he can't even swing it in the direction of his assailant and keeps falling over. This is a feature of 50s and 60s Japaneese film making, lots of running about fast and falling over.
5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment