Tuesday 27 September 2011

Film 73 "Life Is Beautiful" IMDB No. 71

Buon giorno, Principessa!


1997 Roberto Benigni
"La vita è bella"
Set in 1930's Italy Guido, a very jolly optimistic character heads to a city to find a job, on the way he bumps, literally, into Dora and falls in love and when he does it again in the town he knows they are meant to be together. They marry and have a son, all seems to be pefect until the Nazi occupation, they are sent to a concentration camp. Guido pretends to his son that their stay at the camp is a big elaborate game, and they have to score points for hiding and doing as the shouty men say, the first to a thousnad points wins a tank.
As with a lot of these films I haven't seen I don't read about them before I watch them so I can be surprised by what unfolds. At first I didn't think I was going to like this, Guido is just a bit annoying for me, but as the film went on, the story drew me in, by the end I was holding my breath. Nazis have always troubled me.
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment