Saturday 19 February 2011

Film 17 'Bridge on The River Kwai' IMDB No. 80

Do not speak to me of rules, this is war, this is not cricket.


1957 Alec Guinness William Holden
I think I probably watched this when I was a kid, I thought it was a lot more brutal than it actually is.
Set during WWII in Ceylon in a Japanese POW camp, the English prisoners are forced to build a railway line and bridge accross the river. After initial differences are sorted in a very English manner the brits decide to actually build a good bridge as a legacy of their workmanship not knowing that other allied forces are planning to blow it up.
It's loosly based on true events and it's a good story, it's two and half hours long, but if they did a remake now it would be longer, there could be more to tell. It's very British in a 1950's sort of way.
Good show old chap, jolly good show.
7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment