Thursday 28 July 2011

Film 56 "Inglorious Basterds" IMDB No. 89

Bingo! How fun! But, I digress. Where were we?



2009 Quentin Tarantino
Tarantino's usual fare of telling different parts of the same overall story from different perspectives at different times reaching a crashendo finish.
When I was young I found it uncomfortable  watching German war films I couldn't understand how souless and unforgiving the Nazis were.
Set in WW2 occupied france we first meet Colonel Hans Landa a cold hearted Jew hunter, from the off he gave me the willies, he finds and kills a jewish family under the floorboards of a dairy farmhouse, except the young Shosanna Dreyfus escapes. We catch up with her as she becomes the owner of a small picture house in Paris and a meeting with a german soldier/actor results in him arranging an illustrious premier at her cinema with the promise of all the Nazi leaders attending.
News of this event reaches the 'Basterds', a group of Jewish-American guerilla soldiers led by the ruthless Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) who likes scalping nazis, they don't take prisoners, if one has to survive he makes sure that they can be clearly identified as a nazi, that bit made me cringe.
I could write loads about this one, but you have to watch it, I'm not giving anymore away.
Thoroughly enjoyed (if that's the right word) it.
9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment