Tuesday 15 March 2011

Film 24 "Once Upon a Time in America" IMDB No. 84

I like the stink of the streets. It makes me feel good. And I like the smell of it, it opens up my lungs. And it gives me a hard-on.


1984 Sergio Leone
A departure from Sergio's mainstay of westerns this is set mainly in Brooklyn around the turn of the century telling the story of a group of young Jewish boys and how they grew into men and became gangsters.
Told in the most part from the viewpoint of 'Noodles' played by Robert de Niro, in the form of flashbacks as he returns to New York after 30 years away. It is an epic tale nearly 4 hours long and full of Leone's trademark slow moving screen shots and full face close ups, only he could get away with pan pipes in a gangster movie.
The locations and scenes are great and represent the period well. The Actors who played the men as children are great too.
Long but brilliant. 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment